Thursday, August 17, 2023

Cover for a Henriksdal chair - Updated 16/03/2024

I've wanted to buy a new cover for a Henriksdal chair from Ikea for some time and I found out that they no longer sell this model, the model that replaced it is smaller so the cover doesn't fit in the chair. Since I really needed a new cover, I decided to do it, this was the result.

It cost me less than 25% of what the one at the store would have cost since I bought the fabric at a discount because it was the left over from a roll.

I made the patterns using paper, for that I found the middle of the chair and marked it with pins, then I aligned the paper with the pins and drew the pattern following the seams. I cut off the excess paper and made sure the pieces all lined up.

This chair has velcro on the underside of the seat but I didn't put them on because I didn't think it was necessary, the cover stays in place even without them, one change I made after finishing the video was to make a dart on the skirt, so the seat is tighter (photo on the right).


 

 








Update

After some time of use I decided to make another cover, this time exactly the same as the original, with velcro to hold it on, because more than once I scratched my legs when brushing against the velcro on the base of the chair.

So, I decided to put velcro on the skirt to hold the cover to the base of the chair and stitch the seams to get a finish similar to the original. I think the end result was quite good.

The way to do it is the same as I showed in the other video, to attach the velcro you need the seat skirt to be higher, so instead of 10 cm you need 15 cm. As the backrest also has velcro at the bottom, you need to increase the piece of fabric by 4 cm.

Here is the template for the cuts on the skirt.



Here is the video with just these changes.



Measurements

To make the cover I used 1.30 x 1.40 m of fabric. If you want to make more than one, you don't need to multiply the number of covers by this amount of fabric, as you can cut at least two seats from this same width of fabric, perhaps even more depending on how you arrange the patterns on the fabric.

To help you plan, here are the approximate measurements of the various pieces without seam allowance, add the seam allowance according to the finish you are going to use.

Seat: 43 x 46 cm

Front backrest: 59 x 43 cm

Backrest: 63 x 52 cm

Seat skirt (without velcros on the base): 10 x 133 cm

Seat skirt (with velcros on the base): 15 x 133 cm

Interior piece with velcro: 12 x 32 cm

No comments:

Post a Comment